Phillips Industries engineer celebrates 30 years
John Jacobs, Vice President of Engineering celebrated his 30 anniversary with Phillips Industries, highlighting a career in the trucking industry that began in 1965.
Jacobs has helped design and develop virtually all of the major new products introduced by Phillips since he joined the company and holds 10 patents for products that have solved problems facing truck fleet operators including:
• QWIK-E Gladhands that cut brake release time in half with quick release valve and gladhand combined reduces lining and drum wear. Today Phillips QWIK-E® Gladhands are standard equipment on most OEM trailers.
• PERMALOGIC SELECTOR SYSTEM, winner of HDT’s Top 20 Product Award for 2010, is an intelligent controller that chooses the optimal source of power to fully charge liftgate batteries without the risk of draining power needed for other vital equipment functions.
• QCMS plug/socket designed by Jabobs to eliminate the corrosion damage caused when road contaminants enter the electrical system of a heavy duty vehicle.
• QCP, named one of the best products for 2005 when it was introduced, reduces the time to change an electrical assembly from twenty minutes to less than two, plus saving the cost of an additional electrical assembly.
• STY-DRY® S7 swivel socket technology– the latest patent from Jacobs solves a problem facing tractor/trailer combinations maneuvering in a tight space allowing the air and electrical lines to move with the trailer, avoiding damage.
“Our product development is driven by finding solutions to fleet problems and John intuitively knows what needs to be done,” says Phillips Industries President Bob Phillips. “He can take a problem communicated by a fleet and sketch an idea to solve, it on anything available, and then he can fine tune the design into a product that successfully performs in the field. He is a mentor to our new engineers instilling a can-do approach to problems. We’re glad he’s spent most of his career with us.”