Premature air filter replacement wastes money and neglecting to replace a filter at the right time can lead to premature engine wear. To help curb waste and extend engine life, Donaldson introduced its new Filter Minder tool at ATA’s Technology & Maintenance Council (TMC) Annual Meeting Sunday in Atlanta.
Acccording to Nathan Zambon, director – Filter Minder, Donaldson, the new wireless device is equipped with sensors that detect air pressure and temperature to help determine actual air filter condition and the proper time to replace a filter.
“Filter service performed too early is inefficient and service performed too late can damage equipment, cause unplanned downtime and raise operating costs,” Zambon says. “Maintaining the filtration system at the optimal time best protects the engine and drives down total cost of ownership.”
He says Filter Minder technology provides:
- Wireless, simple installation in just minutes per truck
- No upfront hardware costs and low monthly subscriptions
- Patented low-energy sensors that conserve power and extend battery life
- Filtration insights for an entire fleet of trucks consolidated into a dashboard view
- Clear insights and customized alerts by text, phone, email or dashboard
- A scalable platform that can expand to monitor fuel, lube and hydraulics filters — additional applications coming soon.
Zambon says Filter Minder began pilot testing last year and is currently found on nearly several dozen trucks. He says the tool will be formally introduced to the greater industry in the late spring with a soft launch. Zambon adds because Filter Minder data is accessed through a fleet’s asset management system, the product is marketed to fleets using maintenance software compatible with Filter Minder’s data. Long term, the technology will potentially be available as a factory spec option.
He says Donaldson says does not intend to release Filter Minder to owner-operators at this time.