Navistar announced the graduation of its first Uptime Academy class of nine students, as well as nine equipment donations to accredited technical schools through its TECH EmPOWERment program.
Uptime Academy presents a unique approach to technician training from 90-day pre-program dealership employment to on-the-job class assignments. Navistar says students work with multiple vehicle types, including electric and fuel cell technologies. In addition to 3,200 hours of on-the-job training, students are assigned a mentor and receive 800 hours of classroom time and lab work, a journeyman toolbox and laptop.
“The Navistar team and all partnered dealers are beyond proud to have helped launch the career of nine new technicians, providing them with valuable knowledge, mentors and hands-on experience,” says Ana Salcido, technician recruitment manager. “By offering a paid, on-the-job learning environment, we differentiated ourselves within the industry during a difficult time for technician recruitment.”
The 2022-2023 Uptime Academy class is slated to begin two more groups this month with 18 students, who are set to graduate in summer of 2023.
To further aid technician education, dealers from around the U.S. have donated equipment to local colleges and technical programs through the TECH EmPOWERment initiative. The program supplies accredited technical schools with equipment, real-world advisory counsel and employment prospects for aspiring technicians, the company says..
Recent donations by International truck dealers and Navistar include:
- State University of New York in Cobleskill, N.Y., by Stadium International Trucks
- Texas State Technical College in Waco, Texas, by Kyrish Truck Center
- Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center in Altoona, Pa., by Allegheny Trucks
- Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte, N.C., by Rush Truck Centers
- Tennessee College of Applied Technology in Nashville, Tenn., by Cumberland International
- Western Technical College in La Crosse, Wis., by DeBauche Truck & Diesel
- Ohio Technical College in Cleveland, Ohio, by Rush Truck Centers
- Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, Texas, by Navistar Corporate Engineering
- Michigan Technological University in Houghton, Mich., by Navistar Corporate Engineering