Carrier Transicold introduces its lithium-ion ComfortPro electric model that delivers double the air conditioning runtime provided by some competitive conventional battery-powered APUs.
“The new ComfortPro model is the first electric APU capable of providing cab cooling for extended periods formerly only achieved by diesel-powered units, thanks to its extended-capacity lithium-ion batteries and proprietary embedded power management system,” says Ryan Rubly, product manager, power management systems, Truck Trailer Americas, Carrier Transicold.
Carrier says key differentiators of the new APU:
- 7,500 BTU/hours of cab cooling that can double the runtime provided by some competitive absorbent glass mat (AGM) battery powered electric APUs, delivering continuous air conditioning that extends well beyond what is required for overnight rest breaks and up to 17 hours under certain real-world conditions.
- Quiet, emissions-free performance with relatively few moving parts, eliminating the maintenance required of diesel-powered APUs.
- Advanced lithium-ion technology, engineered specifically for long-haul commercial vehicle applications, provides an extremely power-dense and durable solution, charging faster with less performance degradation over time compared to conventional AGM batteries.
- Five-year lithium-ion battery warranty, providing more than twice the typical lifespan of AGM batteries and outlasting the truck trade cycle for many fleets.
- Reduced APU weight by 26 percent using two DOT-certified lithium-ion batteries compared to Carrier Transicold’s standard electric APU, which uses four AGM batteries.
- Lower cost of ownership than other APU alternatives thanks to its long-life batteries coupled with fuel savings and minimal maintenance requirements.
All ComfortPro electric APUs include a power plant, an under bunk climate control unit and a programmable control panel, featuring Carrier Transicold’s exclusive Cabin Pre-Cool Lock that helps extend battery life by assuring the preferred cabin temperature is attained before the APU takes over. Available options add heating, power for hotel loads, shore power connectivity and truck engine preheating, so fleets and owner-operators can customize ComfortPro electric APUs to suit specific needs, the company says.
APUs are used by the trucking industry to support cab climate control when the vehicle is stationary during driver rest periods, saving fuel, reducing engine idling and wear along with related emissions and providing regulatory compliance. The comfort and conveniences provided by APUs also help fleets with driver retention, the company adds.