American Trucking Associations’ Technology & Maintenance Council will hold its 2014 Fall Meeting and 10th annual National Technician Skills Competition — TMC SuperTech 2014 — Sept. 22-25, 2014 at the Walt Disney Swan & Dolphin Resort, Orlando, Fla.
The meeting theme, “Celebrating Technical Achievement,” will be carried out through technical sessions covering management, training, equipment selection, regulations and sustainability — and observance of the 10th anniversary of TMC’s National Technician Skills Competition, the organization says.
“The TMCSuperTech competition has grown over the past decade to be the premiere technical skills challenge in the trucking industry,” says Carl Kirk, vice president of maintenance, information technology & logistics of American Trucking Associations. “At a time when our industry is facing a skills gap and in need of qualified technicians, there is no better way to highlight the expertise and ability needed to do this job than during TMCSuperTech.”
TMC says full technical sessions are to include: “Lean Principals: The Application of Structured Problem Solving to Maintenance;” a fleet executive panel; and a mock trial on maintenance and liability issues.
Mini-technical sessions include:
- “The Future of Dual Voltage (12/24/48) Electrical Systems for Commercial Trucks;”
- “Tire and Wheel Failure Analysis;”
- “Aftertreatment Challenges: Experiences and Best Practices from the Fleet Perspective;”
- “High Torque Plus Gear Low Equals Equipment Disaster: Drivetrain Issues Associated With New Engine Torque Curves and Direct Drive Transmissions;”
- “Trailer Talk;”
- “Stakeholder Response to Phase 2 Greenhouse Gas Regulations;”
- “Dedicated Short-Range Communications and Its Future Implications;”
- “Failure Analysis for Light, Medium and Vocational Trucks;”
- “Improper Mating Procedures: Corrosion Prevention at Wheel-to-Hub Mating Surfaces.”
TMC notes more than 100 task forces also will meet on the opening day to continue work on recommended practices, information reports and position papers.
Information and registration for TMC’s 2014 Fall Meeting and National Technician Skills Competition is available online at http://tmc.trucking.org.